Re: cygserver error

Corinna:

Thanks for info re the Event Viewer info.  I thought that would have
been more useful than it is.

I believe I have set up cygserver as directed; perhaps not:

@lester:~% cygrunsrv -LV
Service             : cygserver
Display name        : CYGWIN cygserver
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/cygserver
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/cygserver.log
stderr path         : /var/log/cygserver.log
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : LocalSystem

Service             : sshd
Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
Current State       : Stopped
Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
Environment         : CYGWIN="'ntsec notraverse'"
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Manual
Account             : LocalSystem

@lester:/etc% ls -l cygserver.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 SYSTEM root 5138 Apr 19 05:28 cygserver.conf

I have not uncommented any lines in cygserver.conf.
@lester:/etc% diff cygserver.conf defaults/etc/cygserver.conf
10:39:24 @lester:/etc%

Lester

On Jul 10 09:39, Lester Ingber wrote:
> Whenever I start Cygwin on our Thinkpads/XP Pro SP2 with cygserver started
> at boot, I get a series of Errors in my Event Viewer -> Application.
> As far as I can tell everything is running OK, but I don't see how to
> get rid of these reported errors?
>
> The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Cygwin ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
> or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You
> may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description;
> see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of
> the event: [...]

Ignore everything up to here.  All this stuff is added by Windows
and there's no way around this without lots of installing overhead.

> [...] cygserver: error getting handle(1700) to server (5).
> [...] cygserver: error duplicating from_master handle, error = 997.

This is the only relevant part of the event log entry which has been
produced by cygserver.

The first error message indicates an "access denied" error, which lets
me assume you're running cygrunsrv under a non-privileged account.

Unfortunately, from your cygcheck output it's not visible under which
user account cygserver is running.  Are you starting it via cygrunsrv?
Under the SYSTEM (LocalSystem) account?  The output of `cygrunsrv -LV'
shows that.  If it's not running under the LocalSystem account, please
change that and try again.

Corinna