Re: kill -2 is too powerful

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 11:58:15PM -0700, patrickinminneapolis wrote:
>I have a VB.net Console App which catches "Ctrl-C" and then gives the
>user an option "e(x)it \ (r)un".  I learned that I needed to set CYGWIN
>= "notty" and so now the console app catches Ctrl-C properly within a
>Cygwin console.  I need to run the program as a service however, net
>start IB, and then I use pslist to view its process number and do a
>kill -2 PID I was hoping for my exit/run prompt, but it terminated
>instead.  Does anyone know what's going on or a better way to do this
>without reprogramming the VB.NET code?

Cygwin kills non-cygwin processes when it is processing an unhandled
CTRL-C.  It's worked that way for years and I, for one, rely on that
behavior.

This is one case where we can't accommodate native windows programs
perfectly.

Do you know of a way to gain control of a service started by cygrunsrv so
that I could do a manual control-c -- like maybe redirect tty to a service?
The app does work in cygwin with ctrl-c, I just lose control of my ability
to hit ctrl-c when I run it as a service (which is what I think I have to do
since I want to start it from ssh and have my ssh call not hang
indefinately).