RE: Non-trusted domain user causes mkpasswd and mkgroup to fail

On 13 July 2007 16:15, Matt Seitz (matseitz) wrote:

> From: Dave Korn
>> If you aren't
>> logged into the domain, there's no way it should let you know
>> things like user and group lists.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I did log into the stand-alone (non-domain) file
> server first using "runas /netonly
> /user:machine\user".
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Let me repeat myself:

>> If you aren't
>> logged into the domain

  Logging into the local machine and logging into the domain are two different
things.  When you are not logged in to the domain, it would be very very wrong
for the domain controller to send you any information about the domain.[*]

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - although, to be fair, this was MS's default policy for many many years
until they finally started defaulting RestrictAnonymous to on....