RE: Unix tar file with colons in archived file names

gmoney3138 wrote:

>All--
>
>I'm trying to get a clear answer on this one.  I have a gzipped tar
file
>from a customer that was originated on Unix.  Inside the tar.gz are a
series
>of files that look something like this:
>
>systemlog_071607_09:25.log
>systemlog_071607_10:07.log
>
>etc...
>
>Basically, as per their log file naming method, they used a colon to
>separate hours from minutes--terrible, I know, but it's what I have to
work
>with.
>
>When the cygwin tar recognizes this, due to Windows restrictions, the
output
>file is not properly extracted.  I Googled around and found options for
>--force-file and  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-01/msg01536.html
this
>link , but I still can't get this to work properly.
>
>I am able to get the files extracted if I use WinRAR (it converts : to
_ on
>extract), but I'd prefer to do this from the shell since I can automate
this
>more readily.  Any ideas how I can do this?
>
>~~Thanks much~~
>--

Have U tried untarring it through a pipe?  U could get a listing (tar
-ztvf ...) and store it in an array, then loop on the array and pipe
each file through a pipe and a filter (tar -zOxvf arch.tar.gz
[ArrayElement] > [modifiedArrayElement]).  I don't recall bash array
handling off-hand (I prefer gawk), but U should be able to get it
working without much trouble.  As U note, the names are clunky, but
it's better than nothing.

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.