Re: Error when attempting to start inetd

René Berber wrote:
> Michael Grand wrote:
>
>> René Berber wrote:
>>
>>> They have to be the same directory, thus the hardlink (man ln):
>>>
>>> ln /var/mail/spool /var/mail
>>>
>>> of course this has to be done after you delete the directory you created.
>> /var/mail/spool does not exist.  Do you mean /var/spool ?
>
> No, I copied the paths in the wrong order, it should be:
>
> ln /var/mail /var/spool/mail

Wrong again, I have a soft link, not a hard link.  It doesn't make a difference
but you could also use:

ln -s /var/mail /var/spool/mail

But there's something wrong here, you said /var/mail does exist, it didn't in my
case.  I had /var/spool/mail and created the link as `ln -s /var/spool/mail
/var/mail`, I used the wrong order after looking at your message, but I don't
think it is right.

Better debug at the imapd level, run imapd:

$ /usr/sbin/imapd
* PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LITERAL+ IDLE UIDPLUS NAMESPACE CHILDREN
MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT ESEARCH SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] Pre-authenticated user rberber black
IMAP4rev1 2006i.385 at Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:22:22 -0500
a01 logout
* BYE black IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
a01 OK LOGOUT completed

You probably will get the error when the user's mailbox can't be found.  If
there's no error then I was wrong and imapd uses /var/spool/mail/<username> not
/var/mail/<username> (of course it could be exim the one using /var/mail/... so
imapd will not see the messages.)
--
René Berber