Re: Cygwin's setup.exe fails to start - error "C:\...\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

On 8/30/07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <HOLYCRIPESSPAMMERS!YAY> wrote:
> dwkimery wrote:
> > I downloaded the Cygwin setup.exe and attempted to run it.
> > I first received an "Open File - Security Warning" dialog
> > box with the message "The publisher could not be verified.
> > Are you sure you want to run this software.  ... ".  I then
> > clicked on the "Run" button and received the message
> > "C:\Documents and Settings\David\Application
> > Data\Cygwin\setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application." in
> > a dialog box with an "OK" button only.
> >
> > I would appreciate any suggestions you can provide.  Thank
> > you for your help.
>

> So you're running Vista then?
>
> Try downloading it again.  I just did so and it ran fine.  Cygwin's
> 'setup.exe' is a valid Win32 application.  If that doesn't work, make
> sure you're running it with administrator privileges.

Step 1 with running Cygwin on Vista: Disable UAC. UAC was the place
that got fuxed up in doom. you have to do that in vista.
Also, are you running on an x64 machine? if so, then make sure WOW64
is installed for WOW32 (Its the old x86 interop stuff)
Step 2:
If at all possible DONT RUN VISTA!

--
Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.