Re: Install bash completion and svn completion on it

On 9/1/2007 11:35 AM, Ach wrote:
I tried to install bash completion for subversion but was not successful.
I use cygwin 2.510

Where did you get 2.510 as the version? The latest version is 1.5.24-2.

and my bash version is 3.00.16.

The latest version is 3.2.25-16.

I executed the "bash_completion_svn.sh" script but after that when I
try to use <TAB> for completion nothing happens.

Where did the bash_completion_svn.sh script come from?

I do not know if cygwin bash is enable to do completion by default (not for
svn only).

You have to install the bash-completion package and then follow the directions at the top of /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/bash-completion-20060301.README.

Is there anybody who did this before and can give me precious hopefully
step-by-step way to do this?

After you've updated bash, installed bash-completion, and edited your .bashrc and .bash_profile as directed, just copy the bash_completion file from svn.collab.net corresponding to your subversion release to /etc/bash_completion.d/svn and make the file executable. The current Cygwin subversion release is 1.4.3, so the following worked for me:

% wget -O /etc/bash_completion.d/svn \
'http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/*checkout*/svn/tags/1.4.3/tools/client-side/bash_completion?revision=23198'
% chmod 755 /etc/bash_completion.d/svn

Then, restart bash.