setup.exe crashes upgrading (uninstalling) bash

On 2007-0820 06:07:47, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to wei on 8/19/2007 3:09 PM:
> > It's a popup box from setup.exe. I also attached the cygcheck.out in the
> > email
>
> And what did the popup say?  Nothing in your cygcheck output
> is jumping out at me as unusual, but without knowing what the
> crash said, I don't know the full picture.

the original thread is a bit aged, this is why I'm starting a new one...

the same problem was reported on 19th Aug by Xie Wei...

he didn't solve the problem, he just reinstalled all of cygwin from scratch.
this isn't really an option for me (or at least I want to be sure that I don't
loose my users' data and the list of installed packages).
I can debug here, if I have an executable with debug info.

Eric, you were asking for more literal information, I hope this is what you mean:

start cygwin setup,
follow all options until I get at 'select packages',
click on [view] until I get the partial view,
only package to update is bash,
from current 3.2.17-15 to new 3.2.25-16,
click on [volgende] ([next] but in dutch),

next is this mostly dutch popup (I work for a dutch company):

text in window decoration:
 setup.exe

white upper frame saying:
 In setup.exe is een fout opgetreden en moet worden
 afgesloten. Onze excuses voor dit ongemak.

on the right hand side there is the icon of setup.exe.

then the lower part of the popup says:
 U was bezig met een bewerking. Deze gegevens zijn mogelijk verloren
 gegaan.

 Vertel Microsoft over dit probleem.
 We have created an error report that you can send to us.  We will treat
 this report as confidential and anonymous.

 Als u de inhoud van dit foutenrapport wilt weergeven, _klikt u hier._

 [Fouten opsporen]   [Rapport verzenden] [Niet verzenden]

two files are generated at the same time, put in my Local\ Settings/Temp
directory:
  -rw-rw-rw-   1 Mario Frasca root       1280643 09-07 09:09 9227207.dmp
  -rw-rw-rw-   1 Mario Frasca root          8742 09-07 09:09 707a_appcompat.txt

they are removed when I click on [Niet verzenden].

what do you suggest?
I already tried to reboot the system and do the update as first thing,
but setup.exe crashes all the same...  by the way, I'm using Setup.exe
version 2.573.2.2

if I say I want to debug the program ([Fouten opsporen]), I get here:

 004AC7CD  lea         esi,[esi]
 004AC7D0  mov         eax,dword ptr [ebp-14h]
 004AC7D3  mov         eax,dword ptr [eax]
 004AC7D5  mov         dword ptr [ebp-14h],eax
 004AC7D8  xor         ecx,ecx
 004AC7DA  test        eax,eax
 004AC7DC  mov         edx,5
 004AC7E1  je          004AC7E8
>004AC7E3  mov         ecx,dword ptr [eax+18h]

thanks,
Mario