Re: sftp removing writable bit

* Brian Dessent (Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:50:07 -0700)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > > No, that's ftps.  sftp is a protocol on top of a ssh session like scp.
> >
> > Aah, you mean I'm only dreaming when I connect to my ssh server with
> > my favourite commandline FTP clients like lftp and yafc? Time to stop
> > taking all these heavy hallucinogens...
>
> Sigh.  No, it means those particular ftp clients ALSO happen to support
> sftp.  It does not mean any old regular ftp client can be used, which is
> what you were implying.

I didn't imply that - by pure magic - any FTP client is also able to
speak SFTP. By the way that's also true for FTPS, right?!

Let me repeat: the advantage of using SFTP over pure ssh/scp is that a
lot (not everyone) of people can use their /favourite/ ftp client
(/not/ "old regular ftp client").

Thorsten