Re: sftp removing writable bit

On 9/14/07, Andrew DeFaria <> wrote:
> DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> > sftp provides you with an FTP command set where scp does not
> >
> > that's about the only thing I can think of that makes a difference;
> > seems like a compelling reason if you are going to be doing complex
> > transfers, but if you are more familiar and comfortable with scp, then
> > use it
> Hey I'm just trying to learn... What "complex transfers" are possible in
> the ftp command set that are not possible with scp/ssh?
>
> Hey, I agree, use whatever you are more comfortable with I guess. I just
> think it makes a lot more sense to just use the basic command set,
> perhaps extended with the "s" commands for remote files, rather than set
> up sftp and use a different command set. IOW I've never seen the need to
> set up sftp and use it over just using the "s" commands...
> --
> Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
> Did anyone see my lost carrier?

sftp gives you a familiar FTP shell; it is not just a command you run

you can list the files on the remote system and make decisions about
what files you want instead of requiring that knowledge beforehand

compare
sftp> ?
Available commands:
cd path                       Change remote directory to 'path'
lcd path                      Change local directory to 'path'
chgrp grp path                Change group of file 'path' to 'grp'
chmod mode path               Change permissions of file 'path' to 'mode'
chown own path                Change owner of file 'path' to 'own'
help                          Display this help text
get remote-path [local-path]  Download file
lls [ls-options [path]]       Display local directory listing
ln oldpath newpath            Symlink remote file
lmkdir path                   Create local directory
lpwd                          Print local working directory
ls [path]                     Display remote directory listing
lumask umask                  Set local umask to 'umask'
mkdir path                    Create remote directory
progress                      Toggle display of progress meter
put local-path [remote-path]  Upload file
pwd                           Display remote working directory
exit                          Quit sftp
quit                          Quit sftp
rename oldpath newpath        Rename remote file
rmdir path                    Remove remote directory
rm path                       Delete remote file
symlink oldpath newpath       Symlink remote file
version                       Show SFTP version
!command                      Execute 'command' in local shell
!                             Escape to local shell
?                             Synonym for help

with
$ scp
usage: scp [-1246BCpqrv] [-c cipher] [-F ssh_config] [-i identity_file]
           [-l limit] [-o ssh_option] [-P port] [-S program]
           [[user@]host1:]file1 [...] [[user@]host2:]file2

use what works; use what you know

i prefer sftp because I am more familiar with ftp than i am with rcp
(which scp is based on)

-Jason

-Jason