Re: Whither /dev/null ?

Brian Mathis wrote:
On 9/14/07, Lewis Hyatt <lhyatt@princeton.edu> wrote:
I'm wondering what is the best way to deal with this? I'd like the
scripts to work straight out of the box and not have to make the users
create their own /dev and creating it for them would be tedious because
every script would have to check for this...

Any advice?
Puzzled about nothing.

Did you try it without doing mkdir /dev first? It should still work fine.

Lewis@LDH-Laptop ~
$ ls -l /dev
ls: cannot access /dev: No such file or directory

Lewis@LDH-Laptop ~
$ ls -l /dev/null
crw-rw-rw- 1 Lewis None 1, 3 Sep 14 11:12 /dev/null

-Lewis

Maybe its been gone over before, but I question the wisdom of "hiding" a directory like that. It seems counterintuitive, and obviously causes confusion for people.

Does creating a /dev directory (in the default install) cause a big problem?

Yes, this has been discussed before. You can see the email archives to get the details.

If you want to populate a '/dev' directory with all the devices Cygwin
supports on your system, feel free to do so.  As I recall, Igor
Peshansky floated a script on this list some time ago.  You can look
that up if you like.

Holliston, MA 01746