Re: sftp removing writable bit

> * Andrew DeFaria (Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:19:00 -0700)
> > DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> > > sftp gives you a familiar FTP shell; it is not just a command you run
> > I understand that.
> > > you can list the files on the remote system and make decisions about
> > > what files you want instead of requiring that knowledge beforehand
> > Simple. Just ssh <remotemachine> ls /path.
>
> Andrew, please, stop it. Do you really don't understand the difference
> between a simple command line tool like scp and a client that offers
> extended functionality?!

I should know better than to get involved with a budding flame war
like this'un.  What, "extended functionality," are you referring to,
besides a graphical user interface?

Unfortunately, setting the executable permission on a remote file
is considered a security hole.  I'd RTFM the ssh(d|-config|<whatever>)
man page to find out if that can be configured.  Unfortunately,
I don't have the ssh server documentation here at the moment.

In terms of megabytes, the majority of my file transfers happen by
shell scripts.  I tend to use rsync, though not with ssh on the other
end.  It works great for mirroring.

Regards,

--
Ctalk Home Page: http://ctalk-lang.sourceforge.net