Re: Duplicating Cygwin installations on multiple machines

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Vechinski, Douglas A. wrote:

> I have downloaded all of the cygwin packages to a local machine and will
> install it, choosing what packages I do or don't want.   I would then
> like to it on several other users machines with the same packages I
> chose on the original machines.  I looking for a way to do this without
> having to manually repeating selecting/deselecting the appropriate
> packages during setup.

One simple way is to create a local package server with just one empty
package on it.  Put that package in the "Base" category, and make it
depend on all the packages you wish to be downloaded automatically.
Add the local package server to the mirror list in setup, and it'll make
your wish come true.

See <http://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-server.html> for
instructions on creating a package server.

Note that you don't actually have to store all of the packages locally --
setup can handle mutliple mirrors just fine, and will pull in the needed
packages according to the dependences you specify.
	Igor
P.S. For the setup developers: perhaps we should allow the "file://" URLs
in the mirror list, just so you don't have to run Apache for something
that simple...
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert