Re: OpenSSH and user environment: Maybe not initialized correctly

Frank wrote:
I try to send the three cygcheck outputs unzipped with this mail.

On    AMD64       sshd is running as "sshd_server"
     SMITHFIELD  sshd is running as "SYSTEM"

on both machines I use public key authentication.
And for my application I shall stick to public key authentication.

Does this clarify and can you now give more information or do you
still need any additional thigs/settings to tell?

No, I don't see allot that clarifies things for me here, but thanks for sending it. :-) I do see that FI-WIN and AMD64 don't have '/bin/sh' but I don't think that's significant in your case (though you should reinstall the 'bash' package to fix this).

I'm actually surprised that you get AMD to report your user name with
pubkey authentication.  I'm not aware of anything in the current Cygwin
release that would allow one to authenticate with Windows using pubkey
authentication, which is why I suggested password authentication as an
alternative (I know it's hardly the same thing).  You might find
comparing debugging output from the server side from both machines on
login to be enlightening.  Other alternatives I can think of is
authenticating "illenseer" (via 'net use' or some other mechanism of
your choosing) when you connect with 'ssh' or moving to a snapshot to
take advantages of improvements there.  You can also try forcing
'ssh-host-config' to create the 'sshd_server' on your XP box and
use that user instead to run 'ssd' there.  Maybe whatever magic you're
experiencing on AMD64 will transfer to SMITHFIELD.

Please let us know if you find something here that explains the different
behavior you see on these two machines.

BTW, I am assuming that you're using 'whoami' from Windows on both of these
machines.  If not, then we know why you see the difference reported by these
machines. ;-)

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746