Re: Naming Cygwin Shells

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 02:47:01PM -0400, Paul McFerrin wrote:
In some initial cygwin window, execute the following command line:

setpgrp rxvt --backspacekey ^H -sbt 15 -fg white -bg black -geometry +75+80 -sr -title "SYSTEMxx" -tn ansi -sl 1500 -fn 'Lucida Console-12' -e ksh &

and replace "SYSTEMxx" with what ever label you like. This will create another window with a shell and place the label at the top of the new window. You can then type in that window. If you don't have a copy of "setprgp.exe", you can remove it. However, an interrupt in ANY window will them them all off. Or you can get a copy at: http://pmcferrin.homedns.org/setpgrp.exe It is a simple program that executees the setpgrp(2) system call before executing the arguments.

Isn't that what the "setsid.exe" program does?
I came from 25+ years SVR3/SVR4 Bell Labs Unix background. There was no such "setsid" so I wrote (quite trivial) setpgrp(1) to match the Syscall setpgrp(2). I'm sure that GNU/Cygwin has much more to offer and as time go by, I'll become aware of them. I thank you for bringing that to my attention.

-paul
cgf