Re: Sorry Resend: Cygwin For Vista Setup Postinstall post-textmf.sh With Cygcheck.out

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> Thomas Dineen wrote:
>> Larry & All:
>>
>>     I installed the same Cygin SW release on my 2 GHZ single core
>> Win 2000 desk top machine and it completed the "Running" part of the
>> installation in a timely manor.
>>
>>     Is there a reason that it would take (possible hours) to complete
>> on a new dual core 1.8 GHZ Laptop with Windows Vista? Maybe
>> a laptop performance issue? Ram? Disk?
>

> The above are always important if there's some significant difference
> between them.  However, if your Vista machine doesn't finish in 150%
> of the time of your W2K machine (IMO), then something is stopping it
> up.  Have you tried turning off and/or uninstalling virus scanners
> and anti-spyware programs?  Some of these are known to interfere.

Actually, there is almost no reason for the Cygwin installer to take "hours"
to install that particular script (virus/spyware scanners aside).  I have
installed Cygwin on Vista on 4 different laptops that approximate your
setup, and the /etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh script should take no longer
than 2 minutes to run.

On that note, there are some serious issues with installing Cygwin on Vista.
There are 3 scripts that hang in the post installation process:

/etc/postinstall/post-texmf.sh
/etc/postinstall/postinstall-ec-fonts-mftraced.sh
/etc/postinstall/gnuplot.sh

There is another thread that is trying to discover the root problem of these
three scripts failing.  Incidentally many responses over there have the same
"are you waiting long enough?" response that is inaccurate.  I don't think
that the problems have been successfully tracked down in that thread yet.
However, I can post the following observations which may help debug this
(and will help you finish the Vista install):

1. When the installation hangs on these 3 scripts, if you kill the sh.exe
process that is running (there are several- kill the one that is eating all
your CPU; the other thread has some more details about picking the right
one) for each one, then the install will finish.

2. Next, if you go to the /etc/postinstall/ directory and try to run one of
the three failing scripts, you will see that they run (and complete) but
throw many permission denied errors.  For some reason, after installing
Cygwin no files in the entire Cygwin tree have write permissions!  Has
anyone else seen this behavior?  I have seen this on all Cygwin/Vista
installs and cannot understand why this would happen.  Have the devs gotten
a chance to install Cygwin on Vista?  I am of course running the installer
with admin privledges and with UAC turned off.  In any case, in order to get
these scripts to install you need to chmod -R u+w the entire tree, then
rerun the scripts.

3. I then had the problem that a few programs wouldn't run (man for
instance) so I just went ahead and re-ran all the post-install scripts.

4. Finally, I did a rebaseall (to fix fork() errors) and everything worked
fine from then on.

I'm not posting details about 3 & 4, because presumably if the installer
finished properly in the first place then 3 & 4 would be unnecessary.

Hope that helps.  If any devs can confirm any of these problems when
installing Cygwin on Vista (again, have they tried that?) that would be
great.