Re: cygwin makes shared folders on vista

nmehta wrote:

> Comparing a file touched in Cygwin vs a file created in Vista, the ACLs look
> different (Cygwin has 'Everyone' while Vista has 'SYSTEM', and Cygwin has
> 'Users' while Vista has the actual group you are in, or in this case
> 'Administrators').  If you remove the permissions on 'Users' the icon will
> go away.  It looks like the fundamental problem is that Cygwin is not
> creating files/folders with the correct group permissions for Vista?

You're simply seeing how ACLs work with native apps -- they inherit the
permissions in the ACL of the containing directory.

$ uname -s
CYGWIN_NT-6.0

$ ( mkdir /c/cygwin_created_dir; cd /c/cygwin_created_dir; touch a; cmd
/c "echo foo >b"; ls -ld . a b; getfacl . a b )
drwxr-xr-x+ 2 brian None 0 Oct 12 13:43 .
-rw-r--r--  1 brian None 0 Oct 12 13:43 a
-rwxr-xr-x  1 brian None 6 Oct 12 13:43 b
# file: .
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

# file: a
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::rw-
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

# file: b
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x

$ ( cmd /c 'mkdir c:\native_created_dir'; cd /c/native_created_dir;
touch a; cmd /c "echo foo >b"; ls -ld . a b; getfacl . a b )
d---------+ 2 brian None 0 Oct 12 13:44 .
-rw-r--r--  1 brian None 0 Oct 12 13:44 a
----------+ 1 brian None 6 Oct 12 13:44 b
# file: .
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::---
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:---
default:group:SYSTEM:rwx
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:group:Users:r-x
default:mask:rwx

# file: a
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::rw-
group::r--
mask:rwx
other:r--

# file: b
# owner: brian
# group: None
user::---
group::---
group:SYSTEM:rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
group:Users:r-x
mask:rwx
other:---

So, I don't see what's wrong here.  The files created by the native app
took the defaults from the dir, so if something is not happening the way
you like make sure the dir is created with the right DACL first.  Or if
you'd rather have Cygwin behave like the native programs then set
CYGWIN=nontsec.

jxt wrote:

> Wow, I had given up on getting a reply, since it's been about six weeks
> since my
> original message. Thanks for at least confirming that I'm not crazy.
> However, as
> this is the *users* mailing list, I'm wondering if developers hang out here
> regularly.
> Is there somewhere else to post that would get more developer attention?

Now you're just being ridiculous.  Nowhere is the mailing list described
as a users mailing list, unless somebody at Nabble has messed up.  The
description on cygwin.com is quite clear that this is the right list for
nearly all Cygwin related topics.  And besides, it is trivially easy to
show that all the Cygwin developers follow this list closely because
there are hundreds if not thousands of messages by them in the archives.

Brian