RE: iostream with gcc

On 25 October 2007 10:14, Peter M Lee wrote:

> I apologize for what is probably a silly mistake on my part. I am just
> starting to use cygwin. When I tried a simple program
>
> #include <iostream>
> using namespace std;
>
> /**
>  * A simple program for demonstrating the basics of a C++ project.
>  */
>
> int main() {
>     cout << "Hello, world";
>     cout << endl;
>
>   return 0;
> }
>
> with
>
> $ gcc hello.cc
>
> I got the following error message

/cygdrive/c/Users/PB2579~1/AppData/Local/Temp/cc7nz7Xj.o:hello.cc:(.text+0xd):
> undefined reference to `std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
> std::allocator<char> >::size() const'

  Use 'g++' to compile c++ programs, not 'gcc'.  Although they both are ver
similar drivers that invoke the sub-parts of the toolchain (compiler,
assembler, linkers), and in fact either one can recognize the extension of a
file and pass it to the right language version of the compiler, the g++ driver
also knows to add the appropriate -L and -l options for linking against the
standard C++ libraries automatically.

    cheers,
      DaveK