ssh/pubkey authentication and use of subst

Greetings,

Based on earlier discussions on this list, it's apparently a known
problem that when you use public key authentication, you are not
authenticated "through windows", which means that you cannot map
network shares, for example.  I was surprised to find that I cannot
use subst either.  It works fine if I log in using password
authentication, just like mapping of network shares works.

Unfortunately I have a situation where I'd really need to combine
passwordless ssh logins and use of subst.  It would be ok if I
needed to give the password once as a separate step and then
further use of ssh didn't require giving a password.

Are there any workarounds to this problem?  I was wondering if fsh
(http://www.lysator.liu.se/fsh/) could be of help here: I haven't
used it before but apparently with it you create a tunnel once (and
give the password) and further logins reuse the existing tunnel.
Unfortunately I couldn't find fsh as a Cygwin package, which makes
me wonder if there is a technical reason it is not available.

If I understood correctly, when you log in using pubkey
authentication, you basically are the user sshd runs as.  I have
set up sshd without privilege separation so that would be the
system account.  One would expect system account to be able to use
subst but if it indeed can't, would it be possible to extend the
capabilities of system account to that effect?

Any other ideas?

--
Hannu