RE: Some programs won't run, no error messages

On 08 November 2007 14:46, Andy Lager wrote:

> I have an issue with cygwin on my borrowed Windows XP /SP2 laptop. Some
> program simply won't run, such as latex and emacs, and no error message is
> displayed. Other programs, for instance xclock and pico, work fine. I've
> enclosed a commented console printout.

> I've spent a few hours searching for hints and solutions, but
> the distinct lack of error messages make that so much harder. The only
> thing I have is the (see below) 'Exit 53' comment when failing to launch
> emacs in the background, which supposedly means "missing dll". Someone had
> solved this by installing the libtiff5 package, but I've checked and
> already have that.

  Run cygcheck on the offending exe, and it'll tell you if any required dlls
are missing.

  Also, run "cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out" and send the resulting file to
the list **as an attachment** to your next post.  That should give us an
overview of the overall state of your cygwin installation.

    cheers,
      DaveK