No home directory on new cygwin install

I've installed cygwin dozens of times over the years, and it's always
worked flawlessly. But today when I installed it on my new Thinkpad
something went wrong. After what looked like a perfectly normal base
install, I open the cygwin terminal and it gives me a prompt in the
/usr/bin directory. There appears to be no /home directory and the
path is not correctly set. I googled around a bit but didn't find any
clues. Anyone know what the cause might be?

The OS is WinXP fully patched. The cygwin version is whatever is
current as of 11/14/07.

Thanks in advance.

-Adam