Select-all Vista install fails?

I am a very satisfied user of Cygwin for many years, and on Vista since
Nov 2006.  I always download and keep updated all packages, since I
usually find that something is missing when I really need it.  Recently
I was presented with the opportunity to install Cygwin on another clean
Vista 32-bit install, so I took the following steps in order to come to
a 'correct' recipe for installing Cygwin on Vista:

1.  Download (not execute) http://cygwin.com/setup.exe .
2.  Right-click 'Run as Administrator' on downloaded setup.exe.
3.  Make appropriate selections and get to package selection screen.
4.  Click once on 'All' package button to cycle it to 'Install' (thus
selecting all packages).
5.  Click 'Next' to download and install.

After letting the installation go on into the night, the next morning
showed a hung postinstall process, I am sorry I was so disappointed and
lacking time that I didn't write it down, but I think it was something
to do with tex or X fonts.

In any case I sighed, killed all sh and bash processes with a little bit
of difficulty, then restarted setup.exe as Administrator, which even
though this time I left the package selection at default, still hung,
this time on gnuplot postinstall.  Again I killed all sh and bash
processes, which by the way were churning at 50% CPU (this is a dual
processor).

Later in the day I took a heavier sigh, removed all trace of the partial
install from C:\cygwin on disk (but not registry and not download
cache), and tried a default package selection install again, always
running setup.exe from the local file as Administrator.

The default install succeeded!  Since then I have started re-running
setup.exe to download and install the other bits and pieces I need
urgently, and eventually I will dive into a full package selection
again.  This is basically the same type of Vista install I have always
done.

So my question is this:  Is Cygwin supposed to install fully on Vista
from an initial All-package-selection?  If so, what did I do wrong in
the install?

Thanks for your help.