RE: question with xargs and jar- seems to drop files.

On 05 December 2007 18:04, Mike Marchywka wrote:

> This seems to work suggesting the file list is acceptable to jar:
>
> $ more latest65day | jar -@cvf wtf2.zip>jarlog2.txt
>
> this, however, only includes a some files, apparently lopping off certain
> directories:
>
> $ more latest65day | xargs jar -cvf wtf2.zip>jarlog.txt

> Thoughts on diagnostic process of known problems? At first, I thought it
> had to do with errors encountered during the jarring but I think I've
> eliminated all of those ( missing files mostly). Also, as I indicated
> before, my configuration is suspect but I wouldn't expect it
> to cause problems like this.

  I've had problems before with xargs, where it ends up generating a
command-line that is too long to spawn!

  There must be some weakness in the way xargs calculates the amount of space
available for a commandline under cygwin; I found that an effective workaround
was to give xargs the --max-chars flag with a size of around 16000 to 18000,
but depending on the size of your environment variables.

  Your mileage *will* vary, so you might need to experiment a bit.

    cheers,
      DaveK