Re: Wish Setup would accept my Perl

"Tim Prince" <tprince@computer.org> wrote in message 475F638D.8070204@computer.org">news:475F638D.8070204@computer.org...

Is it correct that Cygwin Perl/Tk requires a running X server?

That is one of the stranger assertions to pass by here in a while. More so than the (OT, as there is that other list) complaint that installing X from cygwin setup is a pain.

Are you saying that the following is not correct:

"Andrew DeFaria" <Andrew@DeFaria.com> wrote in message fjd50u$sud$1@ger.gmane.org">news:fjd50u$sud$1@ger.gmane.org...

Not sure about that but you do realize that Perl::Tk will only run with a running X server... . . . As I said I don't know exactly why your Tk isn't working. I do know that Tk under Cygwin assumes a running X server. I rarely run an X server - I simply use rxvt instead - so I don't like that requirement. I also work with IBM/Rational products and often need to run ccperl or cqperl - both of which are AS based. And they have Tk in there that works straight on Windows (like rxvt does if it senses there is no X server running - I wish Cygwin's Perl::Tk would do that!).