Re: Need help with Perl/Tk

2007/12/13, Michael Kairys <kairys@comcast.net>:
> There seems to be something broken in my Perl installation re. Tk, or
> perhaps I'm missing something, or just ignorant. If I run a script
> containing (only) "use Tk" I get:
>
> Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll' for module
> Tk:
> No such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8/cygwin/DynaLoader.pm line
> 230.
>
> However /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll is in fact
> there:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 michael None 803328 Jan 12  2006
> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll

Run
cygcheck /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8/cygwin/auto/Tk/Tk.dll
There you will find the missing libraries.

> cygcheck seems to think everything is okay:
>
> Package                 Version        Status
>
> perl                    5.8.8-4        OK
> perl-ExtUtils-Depends   0.205-1        OK
> perl-ExtUtils-PkgConfig 1.07-1         OK
> perl-Image-Magick       6.3.0.1-2      OK
> perl-libwin32           0.27-1         OK
> perl-Locale-gettext     1.05-2         OK
> perl-Tk                 804.027-4      OK
> perl-Win32-GUI          1.05-1         OK
> perl_manpages           5.8.8-4        OK
>
> I asked about this in another thread and received this answer:
>
> > As I said I don't know exactly why your Tk isn't working. I do know that
> > Tk under Cygwin assumes a running X server.

That's not entirely true. Tk works fine without X.
Just perl-Tk requires an installed X, a running X server and
a correct DISPLAY environment variable.

> > I rarely run an X server - I
> > simply use rxvt instead - so I don't like that requirement. I also work
> > with IBM/Rational products and often need to run ccperl or cqperl - both
> > of which are AS based. And they have Tk in there that works straight on
> > Windows (like rxvt does if it senses there is no X server running - I wish
> > Cygwin's Perl::Tk would do that!).

me too.

> However when I asked in that thread "Is it correct that Cygwin Perl/Tk
> requires a running X server?" I got:
>
> > That is one of the stranger assertions to pass by here in a while.
>
> ... so I don't quite know what to make of it all. I'm asking for help with
> this problem, and where to go for Perl/Tk advice in general.

Native perl Tk under cygwin used to had some build problems which
recently got fixed, if I remember correctly.
You can try to build it by your own, without the odd X dependency.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/              http://murbreak.at/