Re: Ping failure under Vista 64 SP1 rc1

On Dec 14 21:02, Ian Puleston wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Vista 64 with Cygwin and, now that they finally have 64-bit
> support for it, MinGW msys. I just installed the new Vista SP1 rc1, and now
> Cygwin ping does not work:
>
> [~]: ping 10.0.77.1
> ping: socket: Operation not permitted
> [~]: ping localhost
> ping: socket: Operation not permitted
> [~]: ping yahoo.com
> ping: socket: Operation not permitted
>
> It was working fine previously, and MinGW ping still works fine, as does

MingW ping?!?  I didn't know a MingW ping exists.  Are you talking
about the native Windows ping, maybe?

> Cygwin ftp. I turned off Windows firewall just in case that was having an
> effect, but that made no difference.
>
> I'm using bash 3.2.25 and ping 1.0-1. And ideas?

Cygwin's ping uses raw socket io, which is restricted to administrative
users since Windows XP.  Are you running under an admin account?

Use the native Windows ping.  It's using a special API for the ping
functionality instead of trying to use raw sockets directly.

Corinna

Red Hat