Re: Intermittent perl crash

Michael Kairys wrote:

"Reini Urban" <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote in message 6910a60712171332t3e8db66fn4cf1a64fe611011@mail.gmail.com">news:6910a60712171332t3e8db66fn4cf1a64fe611011@mail.gmail.com...

Known problem and easy to fix.
Download the rebase package, read the readme, stop all cygwin services and
run rebaseall in ash.

Thank you for the timely reply! However I am stuck on what should be a simple step: rebaseall tells me /tmp is not writable. I have tried a variety of directories (all of which are actually writable of course) and a variety of ways of geting there, including mount point, env. var, etc.

Further experimentation leads me to believe the shell will return false for -w of any directory. This is consistent with the apparent mode of 555 I see on all of them. And of course they don't respond to chmod. (I believe this is a windows thing that I have even read about somewhere in the cygwin docs...)

So I am left with the question: how would this ever work?

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.chmod>

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746