Re: Struggling to setup sshd with Windows Vista

QUOTE:

You've got some indeterminate state of brokenness here. Delete the sshd
user, delete the service, delete /var/empty, delete the sshd config
files, recreate known good passwd and group files, and then just run
"ssh-host-config -y" and let it create everything correctly. That is
all you should ever need to do. Messing with things manually just leads
to trouble unless you understand what's going on.

ENDQUOTE

Let me just make sure I know what you are telling me to do, since I
already did this and it didnt make a difference.  As an administrator,
I:
1. Delete the sshd user -- Ok I manually edited the /etc/passwd file
and deleted this user
2. Delete the service - Ok cygrunsrv -R sshd
3. Delete the sshd config files - rm /etc/ssh*config, rm /etc/ssh*pub
rm /etc/ssh*key
4. Recreate known good passwd and group files - I never modified the
/etc/group file.  I recreated the /etc/passwd file I had prior by just
removing the sshd user.  Is there something else I should be doing?
5. ssh-host-config -y  -- End result is the same. When I do a
net start sshd
$ net start sshd
System error 1069 has occurred.

The service did not start due to a logon failure.

/var/log/sshd.log reveals:
$ more sshd.log
Privilege separation user sshd does not exist

So how do I create the sshd user? Is there anything I am missing??
This is my first time running into problems.  Ive repeated this
process on XP boxes like 20 times without incidence.  Its even easier
on Ubuntu.  However getting this up and running on Vista is a fiasco.