Re: Does clock() work?

Mr Webber wrote:
CLOCKS_PER_SEC is a machine dependent macro, but not so machine dependent to
recognize that my 32-bit windows box has dual processors. Not useful for
benchmarking, is it.
It's not quite clear to me why multiple processors would affect the interpretation of CLOCKS_PER_SEC, or why such a simple model would not work in a single-threaded app for basic benchmarking. I'm not talking about a utility to launch commercial apps (which might be multithreaded, etc.), just:

   * record the current time
   * do something single-threaded
   * record the current time and calculate elapsed time

clock is not the way to go. It is a crude estimation of processor time. On
regular UNIX times(2) is the function to use -- cygwin does not seem to have
it.
Any other suggestions for timing resolution better than one second on cygwin?

-Norton