rxvt red is displayed as white

I'm at wit's end here. I'm starting cygwin as follows:

@echo off
set EDITOR=vi
set VISUAL=vi
set CYGWIN=codepage:oem tty binmode title
C:\opt\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -geometry 120x35 -title "Korn Shell" -bg 7 -fg
18 -sr -sl 1500 -e /usr/bin/ksh -l

I've tried a bazillion different TERM settings and with each one I have
the same problem. While editing files in vi, my string literals which are
set to appear as red, appear as white. This problem appears only on my
laptop. On windows servers that I log into via RemoteDesktop, I don't have
this problem. My strings appear as red. I've copied configs from those
servers to my laptop and still my strings appear as white. My laptop is
capable of displaying red. It just doesn't do it in rxvt. Any thoughts?

Jeff