Re: where is pdflatex gone?

>> ... can the tetex packages be fixed, so that they supply a pdflatex link?
>
> My understanding is that support for tetex has been stopped and that
> in its place texlive is available..

Yes, tetex is not maintained anymore.

But the cygwin people have not stopped maintaining their tetex packages,
have they?

> Are there any plans to adopt the texlive package for cygwin?  I would if I had a good understanding of TeX, but I don't.
>
> MikTex is a Windows specific implementation and is not aware of posix pathnames, etc..., so a "native" cygwin tex package would be welcome.

Yes please. For me too. But it took a while on Gentoo Linux to make
texlive available. I think, it's not that easy and will take a lot of
time. So we'll have to wait.

For the time being, tetex is quite well. I didn't noticed any advantage
of texlive after i switched. (Some more packages/fonts are included -
the rest is pretty the same - maybe some bugs are fixed?)