Fix to xauth problem

Here is a solution to the problem reported in http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-01/msg00232.html and http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2007-12/msg00055.html

Uninstalling the "Embassy Trust Suite" that was pre-installed in my Dell fixed the problem. xauth works fine now.

A search of the list revealed that this same Wave Systems Embassy Trust Suite software has caused other compatibility problems with cygwin as well.

Does anybody know, if this software did something useful or even important? I am not using the fingerprint reader and I have not enabled the TPM chip. Did I loose something by uninstalling it? (I know this is a question for some other list but just in case somebody else has studied this during their cygwin problems.)

Thank you very much and best regards.

CW

> Would anybody on this list have equally simple solution to my
> problem

 with xauth
> (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2007-12/msg00055.html)?

 Below please find a simple way to reproduce the problem:
> $ xauth -v -f authfile generate :0 . untrusted timeout 1200
>
> xauth:  creating new authority file authfile
>
> Using authority file authfile
>
> authorization id is 66
>
> Writing authority file authfile
>
> xauth:  unable to link authority file authfile, use authfile-nI
> have

 two roughly similar XP+Cygwin installations and one of them has
> this

 problem and the other one does not.