Re: "net use" (and "net config")

On Jan 17 19:50, Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> And when logged in using public key authentication, you don't
> >> have a "userland"?
> >
> > Well you do but it's SYSTEM's "userland".

You can by authenticating explicitely for every single share.
When you log in with pubkey authentication, you can attach to the
share like this:

  bash$ net use \\\\server\\share /user:domain\\username password

The drawback is that the share isn't persistent.  You have to do
the above every time you log in using pubkey.

> So why can't one map drives in SYSTEM's "userland"?
>
> > I suppose you could try opening a system-owned shell and "net
> > use"ing the share you want.  Google for the recipe to create a
> > system-owned shell.
>
> Why the difference in userland depending on which
> authentication method is used?

You don't have the full set of user credentials as you would
have if you used password authentication.  The user token is
missing the credentials to connect to remote shares automatically.
That's not really a surprise, but it's a surprise that there's no
really easy, intuitive workaround.

> That seems really counter-intuitive.

It is.  But it's nothing we can do about, really.

Corinna

Red Hat