RE: Error when running "cygcheck -s -r -v"

On 22 January 2008 12:59, Thorsten Kampe wrote:

> I ran "cygcheck -s -r -v" to troubleshoot a problem on a Windows 2003
> R2 SP2 Terminal Server and Domain Controller where the zsh history is
> not read.
>
> I got this error (but cygcheck output otherwise seems to be fine)
>
>     garbled output from 'id' command - no uid= found
>     garbled output from 'id' command - no uid= found

  Known bug (well, at least to me... this is the first time I've mentioned it on the lists).

> The only thing that comes to my mind is that I renamed the admin
> account from Administrator to admin (maybe totally unrelated).

  Yep, unrelated.

> Does anyone know what the id error in connection with cygckeck means?
> I searched the archive and one or two persons also had this error but
> I found no answers.

  It means exactly what it says: the output was garbled and no string beginning "uid=" was found in that output.  If you add printfs in the cygcheck source, you'll see no output was received at all.

>  2277k 2008/01/03 c:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2008/1/1 18:54
>     Cygwin DLL version info:
>         DLL version: 1.7.0

  I've experienced the same problem on 1.7.0; something doesn't quite work right when a win32 program like cygcheck uses msvcrt's popen() to read the output from a cygwin program.  Didn't have time to look into it yet.

    cheers,
      DaveK