Re: HowTo setup cygwin + sshd using hosts.allow and hosts.deny and use detailed logging

Hello Rene!

First of all thanks.
I would never dig up a commandline like yours by myself :)

But again I ran into troubles

For absolutely sure reasons I have cleaned cygwin from my maschine of course
including
Sshd_server User Account
Sshd User Account

All Services from cygwin ( sshd, denyhosts, syslogd)

And deleted the whole subdirectory structure Cygwin.

Then I have done the following steps:
1.)ssh-host-config
with User Separation and install as a service
2.)
syslogd-config
3.) Installed Denyhosts by issuing the command as Administrator
python setup.py install
followed the first steps in the readme of denyhosts
and edited denyhost.cfg and daemon-control

denyhosts.cfg changes:
commented out the line for Red Hat
and activate the following line
SECURE_LOG = /var/log/messages

And also activated this one:
LOCK_FILE = /var/run/denyhosts.pid

OK so far - fine
When I try to start denyhosts by hand with this:
/usr/bin/denyhosts.py --daemon --config=/usr/share/denyhosts/denyhosts.cfg

Everything is fine and denyhosts is running

But if I try to start it as a service it immediately stops after starting!

I installed the service with your suggestion:
cygrunsrv -I DenyHosts -p /usr/share/denyhosts/daemon-control -a start -d
DenyHosts -f "DenyHosts 2.6" -y sshd -x /var/run/denyhosts.pid -o

I have looked into the /var/log/messages logfile when I start denyhosts as a
service - looks like this:

Jan 31 23:28:33 yello-server DenyHosts: PID 3868: `DenyHosts' service
stopped, exit status: 255

I have tried to run denyhosts as SYSTEM or as Administrator in the services
config - but with no luck!

What I have done wrong?

Best regards
Martin