Re: Memory leak problem reported with gfortran

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 5 17:23, Jerry DeLisle wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 4 17:24, Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 01:25:27PM -0800, Jerry DeLisle wrote:
The test also appears very clean on Linux.  The gfortran library is
implemented in C.  I need to examine some dumps from the compiler and I
will get back with you off list if I don't spot the problem.
I am fairly certain that Corinna would want to keep any correspondence
on-list.
Yup, that's right.
OK, we have isolated the problem now. Confirming its in the libgfortran. The reason we did not see it on Linux is because we just did not run out of memory yet and when the test program completes, it does actually free what was allocated. We are failing to reuse an already allocated block so we were allocating a new one for every single WRITE to the string.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for letting us know.

Corinna

An interim patch to gcc 4.3 has been committed to svn. see gcc bugzilla pr35063 for details. It was a mutex lock issue. Not closing the handle after the lock was no longer needed.

Jerry