RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: [experimental] cygwin-1.5.25-11

On Mar  5 19:58, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
> the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
> system.  Save it and run setup, answer the questions, then look for
> 'cygwin' in the 'Base' category (it should already be selected).  You
> will need to use the 'Exp' radio button to get the test version.

May I suggest three changes?

1.  Since my downloads directory may contain many files, amongst which
other generic setup.exe's, could the cygwin setup program be changed to
something more related to cygwin, e.g., cygsetup.exe?  That would fit
well with other cygwin bits like cyg*.dll and cyg*.exe.  At the moment
the only hint that it belongs to cygwin is its icon, which you only see
if you're looking at it with Explorer.

2.  When doing a fresh install of experimental cygwin just now, it
installed quickly but the Cygwin Bash Shell link exited immediately when
I tried running it.  This didn't surprise me too much because I knew
Corinna was working on Windows Server 2008 x86_64 support, which I was
installing on.  It took me a bit to realise that installing experimental
cygwin actually consisted of two steps:  a) run default install, NOT
selecting experimental;  b) run install again, selecting experimental.
Maybe a change to the above paragraph to something like this would work:

Experimental cygwin is provided as updates to a current cygwin
installation, which must be installed first.  To update your
installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on the
http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your system.
Save it and run setup, answer the questions, then look for 'cygwin' in
the 'Base' category (it should already be selected).  You will need to
use the 'Exp' radio button to get the test version.

3.  The only indication that I am running experimental cygwin is the
embedded build date in uname -a.  Otherwise the other version numbers in
the string are identical.  This could become confusing as time passes
and you forget what dates things were downloaded and installed and so
you don't know any more whether you're running current or experimental:

Administrator@SAPNIS ~ (experimental on Windows Server 2008 x86_64)
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64 SAPNIS 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-03-05 19:27 i686 Cygwin

Peter@SAPNIS ~ (current on Vista i386)
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.0 SAPNIS 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2007-12-14 19:21 i686 Cygwin

Ciao

Peter K.