RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: [experimental] cygwin-1.5.25-11

Barry Buchbinder wrote on Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:30 PM:
> Christopher Faylor wrote on Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:57 AM:
>> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 12:43:41PM +0100, Peter Klavins wrote:
>>> 1.  Since my downloads directory may contain many files, amongst
>>> which other generic setup.exe's, could the cygwin setup program be
>>> changed to something more related to cygwin, e.g., cygsetup.exe?
>>> That would fit well with other cygwin bits like cyg*.dll and
>>> cyg*.exe.  At the moment the only hint that it belongs to cygwin is
>>> its icon, which you only see if you're looking at it with Explorer.
>>
>> No, we're not going to change the name of the program.  It's been
>> called setup.exe for many years and changing the name now would be
>> guaranteed to generate confusion.
>>
>> If mixing cygwin downloads with other downloads is causing you
>> confusion then the obvious thing to do is to use another directory.
>
>You might consider <c:\cygwin> or wherever you put the "local package
>directory".  :-)
>
>You can then set up Windows shortcuts.
> (<http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-03/msg00526.html> has
>Some related information that might be of interest.)  You don't have
>to worry about setup.exe being out of date because setup.ini includes
>setup version information. So setup.exe will tell you when to upgrade
>it.

Thanks everyone for the great comments in response to my simple comment
based on my changed usage model after-Vista.  Before Vista I was
happily clicking on Install now and Run... and had shortcuts and
whatever set up all over the place as many of you suggest.  After Vista
I changed to a scheme where I kept setup.exe in my short-term downloads
cache that could be thrown away when necessary, simply because I have
now got used to having to run setup.exe as Administrator, which AFAIK is
not possible by clicking Run... on the save as... dialog when
downloading setup.exe.  So, when I noticed that my downloads directory,
which contains all sorts of (not important enough to file elsewhere)
titbits, only had one file with the totally, you must agree, generic and
non-cygwin-sounding name of setup.exe, I decided to write in here with a
comment.  Treat it just as that:  a suggestion from a pedantic old
software engineer who finds it a trivial annoyance, but certainly I know
how to get around it.

Thanks again

Peter K.