Re: Long filename support, soon?

On Mar  6 17:39, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Adam Thompson wrote:
>> On 06/03/2008, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It is one of the many enhancements in the forthcoming 1.7 series.  And
>>>  it seems it is also an excruciatingly large task.  There is no timetable
>>>  for 1.7 as a result.  But many hands make light work.  If you and others
>>>  you know have hands to lend, I know Corinna has a list of tasks that can
>>>  use them.
>>>
>> Is this list published anywhere?
>> I'm not a developer (unless you're porting to Sinclair ZX BASIC), but
>> perhaps there are some tasks that us sysadmin/support/doco people can
>> help with?
>
> I remember a list of tasks being sent to this list by Corrina but I can't

  s/rrin/rinn/

That list was send to the developer's ML.

> put my finger on it right now.  As I recall, these were all development
> tasks.  Corrina would be the best one to say if there are specific tasks
> in the areas you mentioned.

I'm going to check in my changes today, which will really enable using
long pathnames for the first time.  it can now access and create long
paths, as well as start applications stored in long paths.

However, it's certainly still buggy and missing features.  I'll follow
up with what is done and what's not done on the developer's list.

For the curious and the brave, the next developer's snapshot from
http://cygwin.com/snapshots will be something to test.

Corinna

Red Hat