screwed Registry, versions, file format, keyboard, gs

I'm screwed up, please help.

Sorry this seems to go across the domains of the lists.

Been using cygwin for ages for several essential things in life.
In trying to install a python/gtk prog I screwed up and managed to
reinstall all the packages up to date then found a few things don't
work.

in particular, after this update ..

1. Cygwin-X .. doesn't get the right keyboard layout.  Dunno how
to fix this

2. My shell scripts don't work .. I tracked this down to something
that seems to have changed in the file formats, if I put the same
text in a new file its ok.  Doing OD on the files reveals some bytes
are different near the end of the files depending on whether I created
them after the update or before (created with vi).

3. Problems with Ghostscript telling
me generated pdf is invalid and sometimes not succeeding in
processing (I use it to merge pdf pages) - could be the same problem as
the ile format one.

I have available a backup of the cygwin directory prior to screwing
it up (on a linux system) but no immediately-prior backup of
the registry (note that I'm not very knowledgable about windows).

Considerations:

4. It seems to me if I could restore the cygwin dir (I can)
AND undo the registry changes things would be fine BUT
I would have to know what had changed in the registry and
I can't edit the backup copy (its on a linux) unless there
is some way to edit that database without it being in use.  I can't
just restore it as there are many changes unrelated to cygwin
in there.  I guess one way might be to copy the current one,
restore the old one, edit it and note down the cygwin stuff then
put the first one back and then make changes to it but thats
a somewhat dangerous process.  Anyone know a way to view a
registry database without it being up (either in winows
or linux)?  Doing strings on the files doesn't tell me a lot.

5. Perhaps better would be to work with the updated cygwin,
find a way to convert the shell files I have, find out how
to get the keyboard layout properly deteected - and get
gs working again.

6. If I restore the old cywin directory some things work
and some don't.  vi wont exectute for example. I presume
this is because the registry entries are wrong (they are
updated fot the later stuff).  Is there an easy way to
correct the registry entries.  This is what I'd really like,
the quick fix for the registry - what entries do I change
and how in order to revert to the version I have on backup.

In terms of system info, uname -a gives this in the two
cases (but I don't know how much it uses the registry and
so this may be wrong information).

CYGWIN_NT-5.1 pelican 1.5.19(0.150/4/2) 2006-01-20 13:28 i686 Cygwin
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 pelican 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2007-12-14 19:21 i686 Cygwin

Please help.

andy