Re: Does cygwin still work on 9x?

"Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]" wrote:

> I noted the following in <[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.5.25-11>
>   - Allow cygcheck to run on Windows 9x again.
> Does this mean that cygwin still works on win9x?

Cygwin 1.7.x will not support 9x/ME.  This is what is currently in CVS
HEAD, and the code there already for some time has a number of features
and changes that won't work with 9x/ME as there is lots of major
development going on.  Cygwin 1.5.x is intended to always remain
compatible, and that is why it is maintained on a separate branch.  In
the case of cygcheck, a patch from HEAD was accidently backported to the
1.5 branch from HEAD without anyone realizing that it caused caused 1.5
cygcheck to not function on 9x/ME.  When we realized this we fixed the
incompatibility so that cygcheck (both on the branch and HEAD) is again
able to run again on non-NT systems.

Brian