RE: Bug: C-prog from Win dies in fork; gdb.exe also won't run

Brian Dessent wrote on 12 March 2008 15:00:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>
> >   The native API, to the very best of my knowledge, exports exactly the
> > same set of interfaces to every subsystem.  Can you explain exactly
> > what you're talking about here?
>
> Microsoft Windows Internals, 4th. Ed (Russinovich & Solomon), p. 60:

> p.394:

  Thanks, but none of that seems germane to the question I was really
asking.  Those quotes don't say, for example "NtCreateProcess will return
ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER if a win32-ss application tries to pass the
COPY_ON_WRITE_FLAG but will accept the flag when called by a posix-ss
application".  Corinna explained it from the angle I was looking at.

  Now, who supposes you could work around the restriction by writing

  * (WORD *) 0x004000dc = POSIX_CUI;

just before calling NtSetInformation?

    cheers,
      DaveK