Problem with bash completion

Sometimes bash gets confused and starts adding a slash at the end of files when I do tab-completion. Here's a simple reproduction script:

From a Windows CMD.EXE shell:

> bash --noprofile --norc -i
bash-3.2$ mkdir /tmp/bash-problem
bash-3.2$ cd /tmp/bash-problem
bash-3.2$ mkdir d
bash-3.2$ touch x
bash-3.2$ chmod 755 x
bash-3.2$ ./x                <---- tab after x completes correctly
bash-3.2$ ./d/               <---- ditto with d
bash: ./d/: is a directory
bash-3.2$ "$(ls ./d/)"       <---- pressed tab after d
bash: : command not found
bash-3.2$ ./x/               <---- tab after x now adds slash

Once the shell starts doing this, it keeps doing it. Restarting bash solves the problem.

I first noticed this with cygwin-1.5.25-11, but it happens with -7, too.

"All Bibles are man-made."
                -- Thomas Edison