postinstall hang

OK, I've found one or two posts on this topic but no useful replies.

I've tried to install cygwin now about 7 or 8 times but the postinstall
always hangs somewhere, in different scripts at different places.

I have disabled my antivirus software. I have WinXP on a dual core
AMD machine with 2,8GHz and 1G RAM and about 10GByte HDD free.
So AFAIK that should all be ok.

The default install went through on one or two occassions, but as soon
as I try to install more (like X for example) it hangs and the resulting
installation is always broken in some way.

I haven't found any usable suggestions. I can manually execute some
of the stuff in /etc/postinstall and so on, but the resulting system still
has problems (e.g. startx aborts etc.).

Anyone have any ideas?