RE: Changing cygwin account name (cygwin only)

> Subject: RE: Changing cygwin account name (cygwin only)
>

> --- Hussein Patwa ha scritto:
>
> > One more question though, how can I change the way bash
> (and tcsh as I
> > sometimes use it for a change) display the type prompt?  I use a
> > screen reader and it can get tedious hearing it read out the whole
> > user@host each time the prompt appears.  Can I change it to
> just user,
> > or rename the host part (which is a random laptop name
> ACER-12345678
> > for example) to say just patwa@laptop without changing the windows
> > name for it?  I'd experiment with passwd, but I'm not sure if the
> > machine name given in there is taken from windows, or
> whether it would
> > break if I changed it.
> > Hope this makes sense.
> > Sorry, but after all the problems, download, install, delete,
> > re-install cycles I've had this weekend I'm weary of doing
> anything on
> > my own that might break what's an almost perfect setup now.
> >

> to redefine the prompt you need to assign a  new value to variable PS1
>
> for your scope should be something simple as PS1='\w\n\$ '
>
> so you have only the current directory and no username and host.
>
> http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/howtos/Bash-Prompt/Bash-Prompt-HO
> WTO-2.html
>

> To define it permanenly, add the command to the file .bashrc
> in your home dir.

Thanks very much.  I'll have a read through this and a play around.  I might
see if I can have a second install of cygwin to play with so I don't break
my main working one through all my experimenting.

H.

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Hussein Patwa.
--
PatwaNet
Tel: 0789 47 595 62

Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/p/Hussein_Patwa/510013486

Get FREE, full-featured IMAP and webmail NOW!  Unlimited space, zero spam,
what could be better?  Respond now and get started today!