ssh: issue with file permissions on Samba network shares

Hi guys,

I got a Linux home directory. On Windows, this directory imported as Windows share, and I mount it under Cygwin. This way, I can use all my Linux settings dot-files, and I don't see the Windows path name mess that much.

Ssh (OpenSSH_4.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007) on Cygwin refuses to read my private key from the .ssh directory. It complains like this:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Permissions 0644 for '/home/xxxxxxx/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
It is recommended that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
This private key will be ignored.
bad permissions: ignore key: /home/xxxxxxxx/.ssh/id_rsa
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx's password:

and then, it asks me for a password. That's quite inconvenient, as I intend to run lots of commands from a shell script on another host using ssh.

It's nice of ssh to care so much about my file permissions. However, in this environment with Windows and Cygwin, I don't have that much control over my file permissions, do I?

Has anybody else experienced this phenomenon? What is the most elegant (or recommended) way of dealing with this situation?

TIA

Cheers,
Gordon