Re: ssh: issue with file permissions on Samba network shares

Greg Chicares wrote:
On 2008-04-01 13:31Z, Public Mailing Lists wrote:
Permissions 0644 for '/home/xxxxxxx/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
Try this:
chmod 600 ~/.ssh/id_rsa
If that doesn't work (after the chmod try an ls -l to verify the mod) then it could be that your home directory is being shared by Samba and Samba is not configured properly (i.e. being part of the domain) such that it carries all of the users credentials. If that be the case then you'll never get the chmod to actually work. IIRC (it's been a few clients ago) if the Samba server is pretty bare then it's only using an smbpasswd file. Such a file does not have enough structure to carry all the information about Windows users credentials. Samba recommends configuring stuff to be part of the domain and to use a TDB (which it calls a Trivial Database) or an LDAP style configuration so that the Samba server is servicing all of the SMB protocol properly (Forgive any of my terminology errors). IOW if your home directory share were on a Windows server I bet everything would be working but since it's probably on a Linux system and being shared with Samba it might be that you don't have it fully configured.

At that previous client I could not get the admin to update the Samba configuration. My workaround (hazy) was to do the ssh but somehow to specify that my ~/.ssh was local, temporarily - i.e. for the ssh only. IIRC it wasn't ideal but it sorta worked.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
The beatings will continue until morale improves.