Re: Snapshot cygwin-inst-20080327 regression in ls (permissions?)

On Apr  2 10:56, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> <excursion>
> The above mentioned names are the old directory names used before Vista.
> These names have changed, for instance, "Application Data" is now called
> "AppData".  The old names still exist though, as directory junction
> points with SYSTEM and HIDDEN bits set(*).  You just can't access them
> from Windows Explorer, you only get an "Access denied" error.
>
> (*) So they are marked as operating system files which you only see
>     if you made a specific setting in Explorer.
> </excursion>
>
> So far, including the most recent snapshot, Cygwin does not recognize
> directory junction points as symlinks, but only as directores.  This has
> a minor drawback.  I'm not sure yet if I should change this to recognizing
> directory juntion points as symlinks or not...

I just looked into this stuff again.  Actually I had implemented reading
reparse points so that directory junctions are recognized as symlinks.
But it didn't work for these special junctions on Vista for two reasons.

First, it turned out that these junctions have an ACL which explicitely
denies everyone FILE_READ_DATA access.

Second, the SYSTEM attribute was evaluated before the REPARSE attribute,
so these special reparse points were erroneously opened as Cygwin old-
style symlinks instead of reading the reparse data from them.

I applied a patch which you'll find in the next snaphshot, which fixes
both problems.

Corinna

Red Hat