gettext latest vers. 0.17

Just as the person below noted that the latest version of gettext, 0.17 was needed, I found myself also needing it.  I expect that more and more newer versions and updates will be requiring it.

The current cygwin gettext package is over two years old.  The below cygwin archive gives an explanation for this.

My question is the usage of "cygport" really required to be used.  I certainly feel that it should not be required and it has certainly appeared to hamper a lot of progress in maintenance and updates of existing packages.

It is a tool, best know by its developer, but it is merely a tool and should not be a required one.  Cygwin already has a specification for packages, the only requirement should be that a package meets that specification, not how it was accomplished.

It would be great to allow that freedom and then we can get a latest update of gettext and all would be happy.

This is my understanding.   Please comment on the "required use" of cygport.  And who said it is required and why.

Cheers,