Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: csih-0.1.3-1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Apr 9 10:55, Charles Wilson wrote:
Hopefully, that's more acceptable for ssh-user-config?

My bad, I didn't update csih to CVS. I still think that's too much for ssh-user-config. But since we don't need the setfacl anymore, that's a moot point now.

It may be a moot point for ssh-user-config, but it could be a useful behavior for some other -user-config (maybe cron user customizations?). So, I've gone ahead and made the behavior silent if the associated/specified server is already installed. See below.

And that was really very nice.  I'm not trying to critizise the general
approach.  I just think we (that is: I) should get rid of the entire
message and the setfacl in ssh-user-config.

Well, that will certainly simplify things. However, operating on the old assumption, the new (not even in CVS yet) version of csih lets you do this:

compute_sshd_user() {
  if csih_is_nt
  then
    if ! cygrunsrv -Q sshd >/dev/null 2>&1
    then
      csih_select_privileged_username -q sshd
    fi
    sshd_user=$(csih_service_should_run_as sshd)
    if ! setfacl -m "u::rwx,u:${sshd_user}:r--,g::---,o::---" \
         "${pwdhome}/.ssh"
    then
      csih_error_multiline \
}

(a) if your service is installed, then you go directly to csih_service_should_run_as with the (new, optional) argument 'sshd'

(b) otherwise, behavior is the "quiet but not silent" I described in my last email -- and that all arises from calling csih_select_privileged_username -q sshd -- which is why the client (ssh-user-config) skips it if possible.

 svc_user=$(regtool get '/HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/$1/ObjectName')
 svc_user="${svc_user/\.\\/$COMPUTERNAME}"
 svc_user=$([ "$svc_user" = "LocalSystem" ] && echo "SYSTEM" || echo $(fgrep "${svc_user}" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f 1))
(a) csih_select_privileged_username (in CVS) already optionally accepts
the service name in addition to the -q option. Currently it is only used
to customize the Info: messages (see ${opt_servicename}, above).  So
this is even easier to add than you imagine -- if it is truly desirable
to do so.

(b) You could also do 'foo=$(cygrunsrv -V -L ${service} | sed -n
'/Account/p' | awk '{print $NF}'); foo=$(basename $foo)' which amounts
to the same thing.

Urgh! Isn't it embarassing that *I* missed to use cygrunsrv for that?

Well, my version wasn't exactly right either. You need to (and the new, not even in CVS yet version does) do this:

username=$(cygrunsrv -V -Q "${opt_servicename}" 2>&1 |\
    sed -n -e '/^Account/s/^.* : //p')
username="${username/\.\\/${COMPUTERNAME}\\}"
# and then something like
[ "${username}" = "LocalSystem" ] \
   && username=SYSTEM \
   || username=$(fgrep "${username}" /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f 1)

(c) But what if ${service} has not yet been installed, even though [a]
common service account exists [perhaps used by some other installed
cygwin service]?  Then you'd still need the existing logic...

Right, but that should probably be a fallback.

Ok, that's the way it works now. But it is also why the user-config client needs to check 'cygrunsrv -Q myservice' and call
csih_select_privileged_username -q myservice
if the service is not already installed.

If the service exists,
it could run under *any* account.  It might be interesting for csih to
check always for the user running the service, not only on 2k3 and
above.

OK, csih_select_privileged_username only cares for users with the special (required on nt2003) perms -- therefore, it still checks is_nt20003 || (nt && force_privileged). However, if the service is installed, then 'csih_service_should_run_as myservice' will return the user it is installed under, regardless of OS.

(Well, 9x always returns "")

If the service is not installed, then the behavior of sih_service_should_run_a is as before:
nt2003: find pre-existing 'well-known' privileged user and specify that, or
default to cyg_server
nt && !nt2003 && !force_privileged: default to SYSTEM
!nt (e.g. 9x): ""

For the ssh-user-config script you won't need it anymore. I have a hard time to see that a normal user should know or decide about stuff
like that.

Well, with the incantation in compute_sshd_user() above, IF the admin has already installed the service, then the user-config script will be silent (at least with regards to these issues concerning the service's user account.) It will only print messages (and perhaps ask questions the user is ill-equipped to answer) if the user-config script is run but the associated server has not been installed.

Of course, if you don't care what sshd_user is, then you don't call either of
csih_select_privileged_username
csih_service_should_run_as
and it's guaranteed to be quiet. <g>

Nothing of that is actually helpful or informative for a
"just-a-user" user.  And except for setting permissions (which isn't
necessary!) I really think we should not call this function from pure
user config scripts.

That's up to the maintainer of each csih client package. You don't want to call these 'hey, what account is the server running as?' function, you don't need to.

--
Chuck

P.S. "not even in CVS yet" -- because in anticipation of getting approval from Corinna, Pierre, and Yaakov for explicitly specifying the license terms of csih.sh, I went ahead an made those changes to NEWS, COPYING, csih.sh, AUTHORS, etc.

Corinna: MIT/X ok
Pierre: MIT/X ok
Yaakov: ...

Yaakov?